Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Four of Swords final

So about 80% of the way into my Four of Swords piece, I realized that I was not going to be happy with the end result. Image and concept wise, I felt that it was falling short of what I was after. I don't know why it took me as long as that to make up my mind, but I came to the conclusion that the best thing to do was to junk it and take things back to the sketch phase. I don't generally like to scrap a piece and start over at such a late stage, but sometimes it's really the best choice, and having the freedom to make that call (as I do on this set) is definately a good thing. Every once in a rare while you just need to make radical decisions at the 11th hour. So anyhow, it was back to square one on the Four of Swords. I decided to take a bolder and more graphic aproach to the piece and to get something that would give a stronger emotional punch.




















Also, I think that the first installment is in the new Heavy Metal that just came out. This (above) piece will be for the Nov/Dec issue.

2 comments:

Rich Pellegrino said...

This was a good decision Dave. Now only is this an interesting moment but the color is really good. I think its the best I've seen from you.

Are those swords done?

Unknown said...

Nice job, man :)
I ..uh.....don't have much to say.. a little sleepy ;)